Bikewright Workshop Project-Diamondback Apex || Some updates

 This post was first published in February 2016 and has been updated in October 2019. 

 This is the third post in our series. Navigate over to our previous articles at Bikewright Workshop Project Diamondback Apex and First Signs of Life

This project has taken a lot longer than I figured it would. Some of that has been to find the time to work on it but most of it has been researching what I believe will work on this build. In this day and age with all the different drive trains, shifters, tires, wheels, etc it can be overwhelming.

My wife came up with the idea of black parts. What she was meaning was a black seat post, stem, cranks, and wheels. Well, that should not be hard right? It has been more challenging than I figured it would be. The seat post had been my stopping point for some time. The post needed for this bike is 26.6 which is hard to find in black that does not cost $12. I just don't see a $12 post holding up! Anyhow, I was able to find a vintage Gipiemme Seatpost.

Diamondback Apex
Gipiemme Seatpost
** Update** Since this post was first published the Gipiemme Seatpost failed. The post has been replaced with a Thomson (black).

Since I was building this up as a drop-bar I needed bar-end shifters. Out of all the different drive train set-ups that I could have gone with, I figured 9-speed is where I was going to go with this project. Searching for a set of used bar-end shifters at a price point that was not close to a new pair was impossible.  So I went with a new group of Microshift 9-speed bar-end shifters. I had not heard of Microshift and figured why not give them a try. I am all for trying out the little guy over the big two companies that make shifters and drive trains.

Diamondback Apex
Microshift 9-speed bar-end shifters

Easy to set up and looks good. Very pleased with how the bar tape looks at the shifter.

Diamondback Apex
Bar-end Shifter

Very pleased with the shifter and it has a good feel to it. Now the next picture looks better than it does in person.

Diamondback Apex
Cable Routing

I could have gone up the bar past the brake lever and had a smaller loop of shift housing but I went with the old-school routing and had to put a bigger loop in the shift housing. I think this is the way to go because the Gary II bar does not have a housing routing groove and I think feeling the housing would drive me crazy.

I used thin sections of a mouse pad under the bar tape. I am really pleased with how the mouse pads and bar tape worked together. I am sure once I get riding I will have to post how well that works. This is the first time that I have used a mouse pad to add extra padding under the tape.

Follow the rest of this project at Bikewright Workshop Project Diamondback at the LBS


Popular Posts