Bikewright Workshop Project 1986 Bridgestone MB-1 || Restoration Completed!

BEFORE: 1986 MB-1 Bridgestone Competition


26 June 2009 is when the Bikewright Blog started and it started because of me receiving a 1986 MB-1 Bridgestone for Father's Day. Go here to read the first post. I spend more time than money on this project. The total cost for just the bike and parts ran me $600.

I didn't start riding mountain bikes until 10 years after this bike was made. So all the parts for those years I had to learn about. Out of all my research out there on the internet, there was not a lot about the MB-1 from 1986. You can find a lot from the '90s and that is what most people have. The project has been more about learning about how things work and how they made things that will last. Just this past week has been the first time that I have ridden the bike and now can understand why Grant Peterson stuck to his guns about this design. Here is my post about Peterson and his Rivendell bikes and parts cleaning.

There was a post about braking things down to see how they worked. Glad I was able to put those shifters back together. I didn't know if I was going to repaint the bike or leave the finish as is. That was one of the biggest roadblocks that I had to overcome. I stuck with leaving it as is. I had not been able to ride the bike before I started this project and figured I just wanted to get the bike back together and if I liked the set-up I would paint it. I still don't know if I will repaint it or not. It looks cool like it is! Starting back after taking a break. Was I going to use the wheels that came on it or build a set of wheels?  Check out wheel action.

Update #? was cleaning the roller cams brakes. I spent a lot of time with cleaning, removing rust and polishing parts. Did I tell you I spent a lot of time cleaning, removing rust and polishing parts? It is amazing what life you can bring to an old part.

Can't forget update #?2 The headset issue was a big problem. So much so that I went back to using the original Shimano 600 headset. I also found out it was a top of the line headset back in the day.

So here you go, the AFTER shot:


I replaced the saddle with a Selle Anatomica saddle. The grips were replaced with Ergon GP1 BioKork. The cables and housing are new but the coil housing is used. Everything else is what came on the bike or I found an original replacement.

Here are some shots of the BEFORE


Where do I go from here? This week should be a couple of test rides to make sure everything works correctly and make adjustments that need to be made. Oh, and the search will go on for some bags for the rear rack. Not sure of the style or brand at this point. If you know of something that will look good and will hold up please leave a comment.




Comments

Dan O said…
Nice job, cool to see this completed.

I was the huge Bridgestone fan back in the heyday. Bought a new RB-1, MB-Zip, and MB-3 in '91. Was a BOB member, etc. I still have all the catalogs and other goodies from that era - along with the RB-1 and MB-3. I sold off the MB-Zip a few years ago.

Great to see these old Bridgestone bikes still rolling...

Popular Posts